Nobody likes too many rules, we all like to rely on our own common sense.
Sadly though, we in the equestrian community don’t all share the same expectations and understanding of how things should be done on the yard. At the risk of pointing out the obvious to yourselves, we have compiled a list of rules and guidance on how the livery yard might be run and on what we might expect of each other.
Our aim is not to be unfriendly, but to be clear on our standards and to provide a livery yard that is clean, safe and functions smoothly to the benefit of all clients.
- The Yard will be available to owners to access from 5.00am to 10.00pm (Unless horses are unwell or you are returning from an away day etc.)
- The Yard means all areas and facilities used by the Owners/Livery Yard Loans at KPEC, which includes the stables, riding trails, arenas and fields.
- Staff will be available for assistance between the hours of 8.00am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday, and 8.30am and 5.00pm on Saturday and Sunday.
- The Yard is a run in accordance with EA and we require that all Owners handle and manage their horses in accordance with EA best practice guidelines at all times.
- Liveries must ensure Kings Park Equestrian Centre has up to date registration forms and copies of insurance and vaccination records for your horse.
- Children under the age of 14 are not permitted on the yard unless they are under the supervision of an appropriate adult.
- Dogs are not allowed on the Yard at any time.
- Any injuries, accident or damage must be reported to the Yard Manager as soon as possible. If the Yard Manager is not available at the time of the accident, please ensure that you write the details in the Yard Book in the Livery Office.
- Riding without a riding helmet and suitable footwear is not permitted at any time.
- All vehicles are to be parked in designated parking areas (overnight parking is not permitted unless by prior arrangement).
- Please ensure lights are switched off, taps are not left running or unattended, and litter is thrown in the bins provided.
- Please empty wheelbarrows and skips onto the muck heap.
- We will endeavour to keep the Yard clean and tidy but Owners / Riders and their contractors are responsible for ensuring that the area around their stable, the front of their tack room and other areas used by them are kept clean and tidy. Please ensure that you clear up droppings / hair etc. on the Yard after they have finished grooming, shoeing etc. A cleaning charge of $5.00 may be made if we have to clean up any owners mess left on the yard.
- Wheelbarrows, tools and other items left in an unsafe location or lying outside tack rooms will be removed by staff and made secure. A handling charge of $5.00 per item may be made for each item removed.
Horse Care and Turnout
- All horses must be vaccinated against strangles and tetanus.
- You may only turn out horses into fields designated by KPEC.
- Geldings and mares will be maintained in single sex herds.
- The Yard reserves the right in consultation with owners to plan and manage herd size and composition together with paddock allocation governed by field conditions.
- Unless the weather dictates otherwise, the following “rules of thumb” will apply:
- Summer day turnout – turned out after 6.00am and brought in by 7.00pm
- Summer night turnout – turned out by 9.00pm or before sunset if earlier and brought in by 9.00am.
- Reduced hours – Winter turnout. Max of 4 hours turnout – with turnout being between daybreak and sunset.
- Please note that winter turnout will be weather dependant.
- It is not recommended that owners turn out or bring in other than in daylight hours and staff will only turn out and bring in during daylight hours.
- It is advised that Owners / Riders should wear their riding hat and gloves when turning out and bringing in their horses.
Use of the Arena
- The dressage arena is managed by the Kings Park Equestrian Club Inc
- Any person wishing to ride on the property for any reason must be a member of the Kings Park Equestrian Club or a current member of EA
- The arena availability will depend on lessons or clinics being provided at the time.
- Sharing of the arena is permitted and common sense is urged to be used at all times.
- Usage is not exclusive usage and other riders may enter the arenas subject to the following rules:-
- No more than 1 horse at a time on lunge rein exercise is allowed. Each lunge session should not exceed 20 minutes. When lunging you must move the horse across the arena to prevent rutting and damage to the surface.
- No more than 6 horses at a time on ridden exercise are allowed in the menage.
- If the arena is being used by individuals to school their horses, under no circumstances must jumps be put out by other individuals, until the schooling session is finished.
- Private lessons in the livery arena do not have any priority over the needs of other riders and whilst other riders are using the facility, the private instructor should cease instruction.
- Jumps / trotting poles may be erected for lessons/exercise but must be removed at the end of the individual session and stored securely.
- If demand for the arena is high at the time you are riding, you must restrict your riding session to 45 minutes per rider per horse.
- Any droppings left by horses using any of the arenas are to be removed as soon as possible to avoid contamination.